In India, 20% of the population is in constant need of housing in both urban and rural regions and engineers and architects reach out to less than 3% of the population. A large percentage of population lives in homes that are either self-built or constructed with local assistance by those not formally educated. Most poor houses are self-built and it raises concerns of safety and healthy quality of living. Incorporating passive technologies (that bring in natural lighting and ventilation), appropriate materials that provide natural cooling/heating inside the structure, can result in buildings that are inherently efficient in its use of energy. The Built Environment team works with vulnerable communities (migrant, labourers, street vendors, low-income households), providing access to safer and healthier environments, which directly impacts their overall well-being. The solutions are community driven, combine user and designer expertise to come up with efficient spatial patterns, ecological design techniques, alternative material usage and innovative financial models. The Program Manager – Built Environment will help weave collaborative relations that enable SELCO Foundation to effectively fulfil its mission.
- Map out gaps and opportunities in urban and rural poor housing along using the lens of energy access across India.
- Manage and support the Program Implementation Team of the sector assigned.
- Coordinate and network with other stakeholders to promote appropriate programs that enhance or complement their programs using energy access.
- Design and manage partnerships.
- Primary and Secondary research, data analysis with respect to the project.
- Overseeing the operations, finance and administrative process of the project.
- Team building for Institutional Partnerships.
- Minimum 7 years work experience in areas of management, team building and partnership development.
- Experience in managing programs in the development sector is desirable.
- An understanding of and desire to work proactively to promote sustainable energy access.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to process information and create compelling communication channels.
- Willingness to travel.
- Knowledge and past experience in housing for poor is beneficial.
- Education Preference: Architecture/Civil Engineer/Designer.