The Policy group at SELCO Foundation carries out research and advocacy interventions in the areas of Decentralized Renewable Energy (DRE), energy ecosystem development and social enterprise. The team intends to build on this field experience and emphasize the practitioner perspective in shaping more conducive conditions for the spread of sustainable decentralized energy solutions on the ground. The team has full time members as well as interns and fellows and capitalizes on SELCO Foundation's extended network to bring in perspectives, gain a better understanding of challenges and pilot possible solutions. Some initial successes include Facilitating the creation of India's Decentralized Clean Energy Access network- CLEAN, providing DRE recommendations into the study on Karnataka state's Roadmap for 24*7 Power, Influencing the inclusion of solar water pump financing under the National Solar Mission, Bringing attention to the inclusion of solar energy course as part of the Govt vocational training institutions and so on. This is an exciting opportunity to get a balanced perspective on the connection between impactful policy influencing and field realities in decentralized renewable energy, micro entrepreneurship and social enterprise sectors. Attached is an overview of the genesis and the group's current projects.
- Identification of Issues: Undertaking conversations with practitioners, other teams within the Foundation, partners, policy making entities to identify policy issues and problematic aspects linked to energy access.
- In-depth understanding of issues and Recommendations: Coordinating with practitioner partners, internal operational staff, local bankers etc. to develop a ground-level understanding of issues, synthesizing information and co-developing insightful, actionable recommendations with inputs from other team members and advisors.
- Uptake of Recommendations: Engaging actively with various networks, building partnerships with like-minded organizations and key decision makers to push the recommendations forward including through Government organizations, Ministries, Financial institutions, Donors/Investors and so on. Initiating guideline changes, pilot projects or implementation planning with the above in accordance with recommendations.
- Outreach and monitoring: Organizing outreach activities that spread the word about the team’s work through documentation, media, talks as well as bringing various groups of stakeholders together to discuss critical issues in the policy sphere; Leading projects on certain issues by mentoring interns and capitalizing on the experience of consultants; Monitoring the movement on each project and the larger goals of SELCO Foundation.
- 5 to 8 years of experience
- Highly motivated, responsible, self-directed, resourceful and flexible
- Strong engagement and coordination skills; Willingness to working in a team; Ability to multi-task
- Interest in the sector across a range of issues, involving a variety of stakeholders.
- Good writing skills and ability to bring information together in easily readable forms for wide range of audiences.
- Willingness to travel to rural locations and Knowledge of spoken Hindi, Kannada useful in addition to strong English language skills.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience/qualifications and in line with the organizational structure.